Thursday, November 5, 2009

Oldies but goodies

Who says legacy hardware can't still be useful in production? And I've had people point and laugh because I run a MacIntoaster...

Traffic Signal Computer On The Blink.

"This is a rather old computer. It's probably 25 to 30 years old. It's a 1980s-vintage Data General main frame computer. Parts are not really available."

Well, okay perhaps in this instance it's not exactly useful - at least not at the moment - but, still in production. Better than I expected, actually; I was thinking maybe they had a 20+ year old workstation running OS/2. And while security by obscurity is definitely not a recommended approach, I know my PPC 7100 is secure, certainly as long as there's no land line handy for connecting the modem. ;-)

(bonus question for anyone under 30 reading this: what's a land line, anyway?)

Okay, back to watching my Cube's bouncing beach ball. :-P Hey, so it's slow at times, but it is still both in production AND useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment